- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
One Green thing: More ‘cool for less’
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
Here are a few more ways to stay cool this summer:
Wear cool and loose clothing, even indoors. The cooler your clothing, the less air conditioning you need!
Fans use a fraction of the energy for air conditioning. So move that air! But, of course, when you aren’t in the room, turn them off.
Cook outdoors to keep the heat outside. When you do cook in the house, use the microwave. It puts the energy into the food rather than the kitchen. Now is the time for spicy food! Yes, because it makes you sweat. When you add spice, it makes you sweat, and you’ll feel cooler. Don’t forget to stay hydrated because you can’t sweat without it. Water is best…alcohol and caffeinated drinks tend to dehydrate. Also, remember the bigger the meal, the more your body must work to digest it. Split it up, and enjoy more but smaller meals.
Cool down your shower…who needs a hot shower that adds steam you will then want to remove from your home? If you have an exhaust fan, use it. The faster you get the humidity out, the cooler you feel. Take a three-minute cold shower for a real cooldown.
If you do use the air conditioner…78 is the setting to maximize your savings. Don’t fall prey to lowering the thermostat significantly to cool the room faster. REALLY…it just makes the equipment work harder.
Visit the relatives, and enjoy their air-conditioning!
For more information, e-mail Jan Herbert at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.