- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Back-to-School Clothing/School Supply Swap
Short on cash, but kids need clothes and supplies?
With the tight economy, and hearing several families’ worries about bills, Polo United Methodist Church wanted to help get some nice clothes for Polo-area children at less cost to families this year.
To help meet this need, the church will host a Back-to-School Clothing/School Supply Swap from 6-8:30 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 18, at Polo United Methodist Church, 105 S. Congress Ave., in Polo.
This is how it works:
1) Go through all your closets and pull out any clothes in preschool through high school sizes for both girls and boys that don’t fit your children anymore. Clothes should be gently worn and not torn or hugely stained. School supplies and office supplies are also welcome.
2) Bring these clothes to the Polo United Methodist Church. Clothes can be brought either before or the day of the event.
3) Come to the event with a can of food or non-perishable item, and take clothes for your children to wear this year. For every bag of clothes or can of food you bring, you get to take a bag of clothing home.
All canned food items will be donated to Polo Life Line. All leftover clothing will be donated to a worthy charity as well. If you have any questions or would need help making a donation, contact Rebecca Arreola at (815) 946-3609.
from the August 5 – 11, 2009 issue