- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
- Windows users rejoice: Windows 10 fixes what ails you!
Bruce Weber to speak at Boys and Girls Club event Sept. 30
Illini basketball fans should immediately go and mark their calendars for Wednesday night, Sept. 30. Head men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber will be in Rockford that evening. He is the featured guest speaker for the Boys and Girls Club 2009 Annual Dinner. The event will take place at Giovanni’s restaurant on Bell School Road.
Weber ranks third on the Illinois career coaching wins list. The U of I is the 11th-winningest college basketball program in the nation during Weber’s six years on the bench. They have amassed 152 wins in those six seasons for an average of 25.33 wins per year.
His squad from last season was credited with posting the third-biggest turnaround in NCAA Division 1. They were one of the most improved teams in the country. They racked up 10 more regular season victories than they had during the previous season.
Tickets to the dinner are $75, and sponsor tables are available for $1,000. In addition to coach Weber, there will be live and silent auctions and an entertainment program featuring talented youth members of various local Boys and Girls Clubs.
The Boys and Girls Club of Rockford operates seven locations in the area with an average daily attendance of 850. They serve more than 9,000 annually either through membership or through their outreach efforts. Net proceeds from the 2009 Annual Dinner will be used to maintain programming and help offset recent local and state budget cuts.
For further information or to purchase tickets, call the Boys and Girls Club Administration Office at (815) 972-5973.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
from the August 5 – 11, 2009 issue