- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Buehrle delivers ‘perfect’ Top 10 List
Last week, I wrote a column about seeing Stewart Cink on the Late Show with David Letterman. He delivered the “Top 10 List” a couple of weeks ago. I mentioned how I am rarely ever awake long enough to see the Late Show. Well, it happened again.
Following an extra-inning game between the Cubs and the Astros, I found myself awake beyond my normal time. I was flipping through the channels, and stopped at Letterman. I caught him at precisely the right moment. Prior to heading into a commercial break, he said the show would be right back with White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle and tonight’s Top 10 List. I decided to stay awake long enough to see Buehrle. I’m glad I did.
I find it very ironic, or could it possibly even be fate, that I just so happened to be watching these two specific episodes of The Late Show. Both of them having sports figures delivering the Top 10. It was like I was meant to see them.
Buehrle appeared via satellite from Minnesota. His topic was “Things that went through Mark Buehrle’s mind during his perfect game.” Once again, in case you missed it, allow me to bring you up to speed.
10. I did it! I did it! Oh, wait, it’s only the fourth inning.
9. If this doesn’t get Kate Hudson to notice me, nothing will.
8. Too bad I’m not on my own fantasy team. (My personal favorite.)
7. My brother-in-law bowled a perfect game.
6. (Teammates Josh Fields and Dewayne Wise): We’re going to Disney World! (Buehrle): And I’m running for governor of Alaska.
5. Did I remember to TiVo So You Think You Can Dance?
4. I’m leaving after the seventh inning to beat the traffic.
3. Should I shave my back?
2. Sunflower seed…lodged in my windpipe…get help!
1. Maybe I’ll give up one hit so I don’t have to appear on Letterman.
Based on my last two late-night viewing episodes, I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t be staying awake late every night?
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
from the August 5 – 11, 2009 issue