- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Buehrle delivers ‘perfect’ Top 10 List
Last week, I wrote a column about seeing Stewart Cink on the Late Show with David Letterman. He delivered the “Top 10 List” a couple of weeks ago. I mentioned how I am rarely ever awake long enough to see the Late Show. Well, it happened again.
Following an extra-inning game between the Cubs and the Astros, I found myself awake beyond my normal time. I was flipping through the channels, and stopped at Letterman. I caught him at precisely the right moment. Prior to heading into a commercial break, he said the show would be right back with White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle and tonight’s Top 10 List. I decided to stay awake long enough to see Buehrle. I’m glad I did.
I find it very ironic, or could it possibly even be fate, that I just so happened to be watching these two specific episodes of The Late Show. Both of them having sports figures delivering the Top 10. It was like I was meant to see them.
Buehrle appeared via satellite from Minnesota. His topic was “Things that went through Mark Buehrle’s mind during his perfect game.” Once again, in case you missed it, allow me to bring you up to speed.
10. I did it! I did it! Oh, wait, it’s only the fourth inning.
9. If this doesn’t get Kate Hudson to notice me, nothing will.
8. Too bad I’m not on my own fantasy team. (My personal favorite.)
7. My brother-in-law bowled a perfect game.
6. (Teammates Josh Fields and Dewayne Wise): We’re going to Disney World! (Buehrle): And I’m running for governor of Alaska.
5. Did I remember to TiVo So You Think You Can Dance?
4. I’m leaving after the seventh inning to beat the traffic.
3. Should I shave my back?
2. Sunflower seed…lodged in my windpipe…get help!
1. Maybe I’ll give up one hit so I don’t have to appear on Letterman.
Based on my last two late-night viewing episodes, I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t be staying awake late every night?
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
from the August 5 – 11, 2009 issue