- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Area contractors having busy, lucrative summer
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) unveiled its Construction Zone Dashboard Web site Aug. 6. The site, updated daily, provides current information regarding state road construction projects, including those made possible by federal stimulus dollars.
“This is one more way to offer more accessibility, accountability and transparency within our agency,” IDOT Secretary Gary Hannig stated in a press release. “The public can get important information about projects in their communities in the convenience of their own home 24 hours a day, seven days a week, just by logging on.”
Projects are searchable either by IDOT district, location, or contractor, at www.dot.il.gov/dashboardpublic.
According to the site, several local contractors are cashing in during the summer construction season.
• Freeport-based Fischer Excavating landed 12 contracts, including three stimulus projects, for a total of $17,726,691. According to the State Board of Elections, the company has contributed $10,050 to political campaigns.
• Schlichting & Sons Excavating has one state contract worth $10,246,253. The company has made $46,178 worth of political contributions.
• William Charles Construction Co., LLC, formerly known as Rockford Blacktop Construction Co., holds nine contracts, four of which are stimulus projects, for a total of $7,724,883. Not counting those by its subsidiary companies, William Charles has contributed $141,599.35 to political campaigns.
• Rock Road Companies, Inc., of Janesville, Wis., holds three contracts, including a stimulus project, totaling $3,467,911. Rock Road has contributed $22,311.33 to political campaigns in Illinois.
• Sjostrom & Sons, Inc.’s two projects, including one stimulus contract, total $1,325,460. The company has contributed $41,770.
• Stenstrom Excavation & Blacktop holds one state contract worth $617,135. The Stenstrom companies have contributed $8,023.74.
from the Aug 12-18, 2009 issue