- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Block 5, Rockford Rocks festivals Aug. 15
As fair and festival season hits full swing, two area events will bring together live entertainment, food and activism this Saturday, Aug. 15.
Block 5 party
Downtown, the Block 5 party has been resurrected and will feature art booths, food vendors and a host of live music acts including sets by Emily Hurd (8 p.m.) and Radio Stars (10:45 p.m.). Music starts at noon. Evening bands begin at 7:45 p.m. The stage will be located in front of Medicine Man and Privileges, 510 E. State St.
Block 5 is sponsored by Irish Rose, Brio, The Office, Cru, Deli Italia and The Red Lion. Kim Wheeler Johnsen of River District Association also helped spearhead the return of the popular block party.
More than 10 bands will perform south of Rockford on the Lyran Park stage as part of the first Rockford Rocks festival. The Avatars, Forest City Lumberjacks, Screw City Saints, to name a few, will play the event. The festival will include clothing and food vendors, comedy, giveaways, guest speakers and educational booths. Proceeds will benefit Rockford CAST (Community Action and Service Team), a newly-formed community service organization.
Music starts at noon. Festival grounds close at midnight. Artist Jesus Correa VII will emcee the event, sponsored by Sacred Art Tattoos, Swilligan’s, The Red Lion, Cru, Octane, Bella’s Catering, Laser Quest, Phoenix Traders, Volcano Falls, CD Source, LaMonica Beverages, 5 Forks Market, Saturated Threads, Covert Empire, Kryptonite, CJ’s, Kuma’s Asian Bistro, Raging Pervy Gear and DalPra Design.
“Our goal is to offer an interactive festival-type event with games and activities to help promote and inspire leadership, community activism, and environmental awareness,” event organizer Kass Martin said. “Rockford Rocks was [created as] a fund-raising event for Rockford CAST to help generate enough funds to acquire the resources they need to be a successful community outreach/non-for-profit group.”
Cost is $10 at the door, $7 in advance. For more information, call (815) 707-7888. A $7 ticket can purchased at the door with a canned food donation. Rockford CAST can be found at www.rockfordcast.org.
More information about Block 5 can be obtained by calling Molly Fleming at (779) 771-0398 or the Irish Rose Saloon at (815) 964-0480.
from the Aug 12-18, 2009 issue