- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Community news and notes
The Rockford Park District recently announced several key staff appointments for the Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens. Ruth Miller, program director of the City of Gardens, has been appointed conservatory facility manager, and Dan Erwin, current manager of Horticulture & Parks for the district, will take on additional horticulture management responsibilities for the new facility. Long-time Park District Deputy Director of Operations Ron Butler will oversee the entire operation of the new conservatory, which is scheduled to open in December 2010. … William Collett joined the staff of DP Accounting, Rockford. He will help individuals and nonprofit organizations understand new options they have for selecting an energy provider in light of Illinois’ energy deregulation. He is with Ambit Energy, a natural-gas provider in Illinois. … Mike Donnelly of Edward Jones shared his experience and helped train financial advisers with less experience at the firm’s headquarters in St. Louis. At the May sessions, Donnelly held class discussions and met individually with advisers.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
from the Aug 12-18, 2009 issue