- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Literary Hook: Poem draws parallels between wisdom and the fruition of a garden
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
The end of summer draws near. The garden has come to fruition. Here is a sonnet that compares wisdom to the fruition of a garden, sometimes uncontrollable. Like the end of a gardening season, wisdom comes with age. If you are a gardener or a person seeking wisdom, I hope the poem will speak to you.
Wisdom’s Wild Fruition
Because the price of wisdom is so high…
Like trumpet vines in wild fruition,
Wisdom tangles and spirals toward the sky
And cannot be controlled. Come, completion
Of roots, bulbs, and seeds. Flowers and trees
Become. Deep within the soil grow.
Essence of red roses in summer’s breeze.
Yet inward, wisdom to the rich river
Goes, nourished by the inland sea’s fresh flow.
Then the receiver becomes the giver.
The price of wisdom is so high because
Paradise is a garden returned to
Bruised, where only mercy and nature’s laws
Inform the open heart. Red nose renew.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet who has written several books of poetry.
from the Aug. 26-Sept. 1, 2009 issue