- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Vikings take first at Auburn Invitational
By Matt Nestor
The 22nd annual Auburn Invitational boys’ soccer tournament was held over the weekend at the Sportscore complex. Twenty teams from all around the area competed in this year’s tournament.
Teams competed in pool play before being broken down into three divisions—the gold, silver and bronze divisions. Each division then had a four-team tournament format to determine the champion in each division.
Led by seniors Jesus Cardenas, Jhonatan Rodriguez and Ian Sykaluk, the Guilford Vikings performed the best of the area teams. Guilford scored 19 goals in three Saturday games, en route to a first-place finish in the bronze division.
The first-place finish was terrific for the Vikings, who are looking to improve upon a second-place finish last year. The Vikings are among the conference favorites this year.
Harlem also performed well, taking fourth place in the gold division. All in all, five teams from the NIC-10 conference competed, and eight teams from the Rockford area were involved.
From the September 2-8, 2009 issue