- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
Vikings take first at Auburn Invitational
By Matt Nestor
The 22nd annual Auburn Invitational boys’ soccer tournament was held over the weekend at the Sportscore complex. Twenty teams from all around the area competed in this year’s tournament.
Teams competed in pool play before being broken down into three divisions—the gold, silver and bronze divisions. Each division then had a four-team tournament format to determine the champion in each division.
Led by seniors Jesus Cardenas, Jhonatan Rodriguez and Ian Sykaluk, the Guilford Vikings performed the best of the area teams. Guilford scored 19 goals in three Saturday games, en route to a first-place finish in the bronze division.
The first-place finish was terrific for the Vikings, who are looking to improve upon a second-place finish last year. The Vikings are among the conference favorites this year.
Harlem also performed well, taking fourth place in the gold division. All in all, five teams from the NIC-10 conference competed, and eight teams from the Rockford area were involved.
From the September 2-8, 2009 issue