- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Vikings take first at Auburn Invitational
By Matt Nestor
The 22nd annual Auburn Invitational boys’ soccer tournament was held over the weekend at the Sportscore complex. Twenty teams from all around the area competed in this year’s tournament.
Teams competed in pool play before being broken down into three divisions—the gold, silver and bronze divisions. Each division then had a four-team tournament format to determine the champion in each division.
Led by seniors Jesus Cardenas, Jhonatan Rodriguez and Ian Sykaluk, the Guilford Vikings performed the best of the area teams. Guilford scored 19 goals in three Saturday games, en route to a first-place finish in the bronze division.
The first-place finish was terrific for the Vikings, who are looking to improve upon a second-place finish last year. The Vikings are among the conference favorites this year.
Harlem also performed well, taking fourth place in the gold division. All in all, five teams from the NIC-10 conference competed, and eight teams from the Rockford area were involved.
From the September 2-8, 2009 issue