- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Vikings take first at Auburn Invitational
By Matt Nestor
The 22nd annual Auburn Invitational boys’ soccer tournament was held over the weekend at the Sportscore complex. Twenty teams from all around the area competed in this year’s tournament.
Teams competed in pool play before being broken down into three divisions—the gold, silver and bronze divisions. Each division then had a four-team tournament format to determine the champion in each division.
Led by seniors Jesus Cardenas, Jhonatan Rodriguez and Ian Sykaluk, the Guilford Vikings performed the best of the area teams. Guilford scored 19 goals in three Saturday games, en route to a first-place finish in the bronze division.
The first-place finish was terrific for the Vikings, who are looking to improve upon a second-place finish last year. The Vikings are among the conference favorites this year.
Harlem also performed well, taking fourth place in the gold division. All in all, five teams from the NIC-10 conference competed, and eight teams from the Rockford area were involved.
From the September 2-8, 2009 issue