- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
Vikings take first at Auburn Invitational
By Matt Nestor
The 22nd annual Auburn Invitational boys’ soccer tournament was held over the weekend at the Sportscore complex. Twenty teams from all around the area competed in this year’s tournament.
Teams competed in pool play before being broken down into three divisions—the gold, silver and bronze divisions. Each division then had a four-team tournament format to determine the champion in each division.
Led by seniors Jesus Cardenas, Jhonatan Rodriguez and Ian Sykaluk, the Guilford Vikings performed the best of the area teams. Guilford scored 19 goals in three Saturday games, en route to a first-place finish in the bronze division.
The first-place finish was terrific for the Vikings, who are looking to improve upon a second-place finish last year. The Vikings are among the conference favorites this year.
Harlem also performed well, taking fourth place in the gold division. All in all, five teams from the NIC-10 conference competed, and eight teams from the Rockford area were involved.
From the September 2-8, 2009 issue