- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
J-Hawks, Jones look to re-emerge in football
By Matt Nestor
Jefferson is trying to rebuild their program behind a lot of young players. They almost beat Freeport to open the season, and then beat Auburn to end a long losing streak.
At the heart of this project is a young, fast and vicious defense. And that unit is led by Gerrion Jones.
Jones, a junior linebacker, is fast and fierce. The coaching staff likes to move him around and take advantage of his versatility.
The J-Hawks’ defense brings constant pressure. And Jones, who recovered a fumble and provided constant pressure on the quarterback against Auburn, says he is just out there trying to lead the defense by his play on the field.
“I try to bring a little momentum to the defense,” the linebacker said. “I try to get everyone else riled up on the defense so it’s not just one man out there.”
Head coach Franklin Craig loves Jones’ motor. He said the non-stop play of his junior leader is key to the team’s defense.
“I love the way that he goes from whistle to whistle,” Craig said. “He plays so hard every down. He’s just out of this world.”
The J-Hawks still have work to do in their rebuilding job, but are looking to build on their first win in two years. Craig said that job is easier when Jones, much like the rest of the J-Hawks, leave everything they have on the field.
“He just plays out of his mind sometimes,” Craig said. “I don’t think he knows who he is sometimes when he plays.”
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at email@example.com.
From the September 9-15, 2009 issue