- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
1 green thing: Who knew?
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
After making my eco-confession (love of paper) and my friends’ sharing theirs (owning a 35-year-old freezer), another arrived from a gal who says she has piles of files and just doesn’t know what to do with them.
Maybe the public library will be interested in the historical value of some of the files? Is paper recycling the only other choice?
It wasn’t mentioned, but in reconsideration of her personal environment, maybe having a bunch of paper around could trigger mold getting a start if it were to get damp. Paper dust may be a concern as well.
As the digital world advances, the coming generations will probably avoid this challenge as they’ll just keep all the information on their computers.
Speaking of computers, a very nice guy pointed out a very long URL had been included in one of my columns recently. He has sent me in the direction of http://tinyurl.com/, which offers a way to reduce the length of URLs to something more manageable. Thanks for the recommendation! Anytime it can become easier for me to share green ideas with the readers of The Rock River Times, I’ll try to implement the suggestion!
To make your eco-confession or share a way to improve communication, e-mail me at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue