- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
1 green thing: Who knew?
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
After making my eco-confession (love of paper) and my friends’ sharing theirs (owning a 35-year-old freezer), another arrived from a gal who says she has piles of files and just doesn’t know what to do with them.
Maybe the public library will be interested in the historical value of some of the files? Is paper recycling the only other choice?
It wasn’t mentioned, but in reconsideration of her personal environment, maybe having a bunch of paper around could trigger mold getting a start if it were to get damp. Paper dust may be a concern as well.
As the digital world advances, the coming generations will probably avoid this challenge as they’ll just keep all the information on their computers.
Speaking of computers, a very nice guy pointed out a very long URL had been included in one of my columns recently. He has sent me in the direction of http://tinyurl.com/, which offers a way to reduce the length of URLs to something more manageable. Thanks for the recommendation! Anytime it can become easier for me to share green ideas with the readers of The Rock River Times, I’ll try to implement the suggestion!
To make your eco-confession or share a way to improve communication, e-mail me at JanHerbert@RockfordParkdistrict.org.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue