- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Figure skaters, pop stars unite at Sears Center Sept. 19
By Doug Halberstadt
The two worlds of figure skating and pop music are set to collide this Saturday night (Sept. 19) at the Sears Center Arena in Hoffman Estates. Michelle Kwan and Peggy Fleming are co-hosting Skate for the Heart. The event is designed to raise awareness of heart disease.
Kwan is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history. She is a two-time Olympian, five-time World Champion and nine-time U.S. National Champion and one of the most popular figure skaters of all-time. Fleming is the 1968 Olympic gold medalist and has been a television skating commentator for more than 20 years.
Sasha Cohen, the Olympic silver medalist at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, will join Kwan and Fleming on the ice. Cohen announced last month she was returning to competitive skating and hopes to represent the United States at her third Olympic games in Vancouver in 2010.
Evan Lysacek, who skated in Rockford earlier this year, and 2009 Ice Dancing World silver medalists Ben Agosto and Tanith Belbin will also be performing in Skate for the Heart. 2009 U.S. Champion Alissa Czisny and 2009 U.S. Pairs Champions Rockne Brubaker and Keauna McLaughlin are just a few of the other figure skating stars scheduled to perform Saturday.
In addition to the skating performances, pop music stars Jordin Sparks, Charice, Honor Society and KSM will be entertaining the audience with their talents.
The figure skating/pop music concert begins at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range in price from $30 all the way up to $187 for those die-hard fans who would actually like to sit on the ice. For more information about the 2009 Skate for the Heart, visit www.searscentre.com.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue.