- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Figure skaters, pop stars unite at Sears Center Sept. 19
By Doug Halberstadt
The two worlds of figure skating and pop music are set to collide this Saturday night (Sept. 19) at the Sears Center Arena in Hoffman Estates. Michelle Kwan and Peggy Fleming are co-hosting Skate for the Heart. The event is designed to raise awareness of heart disease.
Kwan is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history. She is a two-time Olympian, five-time World Champion and nine-time U.S. National Champion and one of the most popular figure skaters of all-time. Fleming is the 1968 Olympic gold medalist and has been a television skating commentator for more than 20 years.
Sasha Cohen, the Olympic silver medalist at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, will join Kwan and Fleming on the ice. Cohen announced last month she was returning to competitive skating and hopes to represent the United States at her third Olympic games in Vancouver in 2010.
Evan Lysacek, who skated in Rockford earlier this year, and 2009 Ice Dancing World silver medalists Ben Agosto and Tanith Belbin will also be performing in Skate for the Heart. 2009 U.S. Champion Alissa Czisny and 2009 U.S. Pairs Champions Rockne Brubaker and Keauna McLaughlin are just a few of the other figure skating stars scheduled to perform Saturday.
In addition to the skating performances, pop music stars Jordin Sparks, Charice, Honor Society and KSM will be entertaining the audience with their talents.
The figure skating/pop music concert begins at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range in price from $30 all the way up to $187 for those die-hard fans who would actually like to sit on the ice. For more information about the 2009 Skate for the Heart, visit www.searscentre.com.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue.