- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Literary Hook: Poem offers a recipe for living
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here’s a poem by Judy Janke, who was a summer member of the Tuesday Writers. Judy lives in Arizona and spends the summer in this area. She has been an active member of Womanspace, and has sung with the Womansong Chorale. This poem takes the form of a recipe for living. Savor!
A Little of This—A Lot of That
Gather and mix. Add and subtract.
A large portion of attraction. Two smiling faces.
A bowl of spicy feelings and spoons full of joy!
Mix slowly with love’s sweet honey.
Add a pinch of salty tears
With a large helping of compassion
And several dashes of forgiveness.
Blend gently until smooth.
Sift together for balance and form.
Add a dab of fun and a jot of silly.
Shape the mixture and take the temperature.
Pat gently into hearts warm. Then
Layer with sweet, gooey spirit.
Sprinkle generously with laughter.
Let rise for as long as it takes.
Bake it and re-make it
Time after time.
It’s easy and as hard as that.
Just keep using a little of this
And a lot of that.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet who has written several books of poetry.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue