- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Reflexology: Research on reflexology
By Susan Watson
Research is now available to move reflexologists to another level of professionalism with Evidenced Based Reflexology.
Research on reflexology is being conducted on women with advanced breast cancer. The Natural Institute of Health (NIH) granted more than $3 million to Dr. Gwen Wyatt at both Michigan State University’s West Michigan Cancer Center and North Shore Health Systems in Evanston, Ill. This study is to test reflexology effects on improving the quality of life for women undergoing chemotherapy for late stages of breast cancer.
Dr. Gwen Wyatt just finished a study from 2005-2007 that showed reflexology did show positive results on breast cancer patients, and, therefore, the NIH granted $3 million to study improving the quality of life of breast cancer patients 2008 to the end of 2010. for more information, see the following Web sites:
Nancy Stephenson, R.N., of Greenville, S.C., is conducting how reflexology effects on cancer pain and anxiety. In a two-year study, an East Carolina University School of Nursing researcher saw significant decreases in pain and anxiety in cancer patients whose partners used reflexology or manual pressure applied to specific points on their feet (http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/news/poe/2007/207/stephenson.cfm).
For more reflexology studies for disorders A-Z conducted around the world, see the Web site http://.reflexologyresearch.net/ResearchCatList.shtml.
Susan Watson, a National Board Certified Reflexology Therapist (NCRT), is author of Practical Reflexology, a reflexology certification textbook published by McGraw-Hill, and is founder and instructor of Healthy Soles School of Reflexology.
From the September 16-22, 2009 issue.