- The Rock River Times - http://rockrivertimes.com -
This week in The Times: Steve Pearce
Posted By Staff On September 23, 2009 @ 12:11 am In People In Our Times, This week in the times | No Comments
Vitals: Steve Pearce, 39, co-owns the Quick Wok at Forest Hills Plaza with his wife, Terry. Pearce is originally from Hackensack, N.J. He graduated from North High School in North Ft. Myers, Fla., before spending 20 years as an employee of Chrysler.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be, and what would you say? I was an auto worker for 20 years, and got laid off from Chrysler. Where are the greenhouse jobs? And mass transportation jobs? and railway jobs, I was told by President Obama that I and others could pursue? Why have I not been led into those job sectors along with the thousands of other laid-off auto workers and suppliers? We helped build this country and got cut off with no lifeline.
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? The parks (Rock Cut), the paved bike and jogging trailways, all the restaurants to choose from, but mostly the friendly people.
3. What is the toughest part of opening a new restaurant in today’s economic climate? The overhead and down payments on utilities plus start-up expenses, marketing, menus, signs, and advertising are a huge factor.You get no deals as a business owner, everyting costs more … TV, electric, gas, garbage, vendors, etc. Everything costs more because you’re a business or corporation.
4. If your customers were to describe your restaurant to their friends, how would they do so? Delicious, authentic Chinese and Filipino cuisine. Dine-in, take-out, or delivery. Our Chinese Chef “Lee” is from China – and he is the best. We are originally from the New York and New Jersey area, and we have tried all the Chinese restaurants in the area, and we know there are many Chinese restaurants around, but we always preferred Quick Wok because the food is delicious and made by a real Chinese chef.. That is why we bought it. And my wife, Terry, of 17 years can cook all the delicious Filipino foods and desserts to attract not only Filipinos, but all people looking for a new dining and taste experience.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant Ryan Neumann: As a Rock River Valley small business owner, what more do you think the government and the Small Business Administration could be doing to help smaller companies? Offering us energy conservation and water conservation incentives, so we can update and install energy-saving solar panels and reverse-osmosis units to provide our customers with low prices and clean and healthy drinking water.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the September 23-29, 2009 issue
Article printed from The Rock River Times: http://rockrivertimes.com
URL to article: http://rockrivertimes.com/2009/09/23/this-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://delicious.com/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F&title=This+week+in+The+Times%3A+Steve+Pearce
 Image: http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F&title=This+week+in+The+Times%3A+Steve+Pearce&bodytext=Vitals%3A+Steve+Pearce%2C+39%2C+co-owns+the+Quick+Wok+at+Forest+Hills+Plaza+with+his+wife%2C+Terry.+Pearce+is+originally+from+Hackensack%2C+N.J.+He+graduated+from+North+High+School+in+North+Ft.+Myers%2C+Fla.%2C+before+spending+20+years+as+an+employee+of+Chrysler.%0D%0A1.+If+you+could+choose+any+elected+official+-+local%2C+state+or+nationa
 Image: http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F&t=This+week+in+The+Times%3A+Steve+Pearce
 Image: http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F&title=This+week+in+The+Times%3A+Steve+Pearce
 Image: http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F&title=This+week+in+The+Times%3A+Steve+Pearce
 Image: http://twitter.com/home/?status=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2009%2F09%2F23%2Fthis-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce%2F
 Image: http://rockrivertimes.com/2009/09/23/this-week-in-the-times-steve-pearce/feed
Copyright © 2009 The Rock River Times. All rights reserved.