- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
Harlem rolls in tournament victory
By Matt Nestor
Eight teams competed in the 31st Annual Harlem Invitational Volleyball Tournament, including host Harlem’s varsity and junior varsity team, Auburn and Belvidere North.
The Harlem Huskies’ varsity team rolled through the tournament, losing only one game out of 11 on their way to a championship in the tournament.
Harlem started off defeating Keith 25-17 and 25-11. They followed that up with a 25-8 and 25-15 win over Auburn, and beat Rolling Meadows 25-16 and 25-18.
Belvidere North gave Harlem their toughest match. They won the first game 25-19 before Harlem won the next two to make the championship. Once there, the Huskies got back to business and beat Woodstock in two games.
“The varsity kids have played really consistently, which has been nice to see,” Harlem coach Lani Mitchell said. “We had kind of a rough week. But we’ve played well for five games, and hopefully that’s a good turnaround for us.”
Rolling Meadows defeated Belvidere North for third place in the tournament. Auburn took sixth place.
Harlem also led the all-tournament team, placing four members on the team. They were led by Breanna Neubauer, Morgan Knoll, Jenna Combs and Taylor Neuschwander-Thurow.
They were joined on the team by Keith’s Rachel Miller, Jordan Hartfiel of Belvidere North, Christie Jacobson, Allison Wynn, Katie Ruben of Woodstock and Jackie Rosinski from Rolling Meadows.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at email@example.com.
From the September 30 – October 6, 2009 issue