- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Harlem rolls in tournament victory
By Matt Nestor
Eight teams competed in the 31st Annual Harlem Invitational Volleyball Tournament, including host Harlem’s varsity and junior varsity team, Auburn and Belvidere North.
The Harlem Huskies’ varsity team rolled through the tournament, losing only one game out of 11 on their way to a championship in the tournament.
Harlem started off defeating Keith 25-17 and 25-11. They followed that up with a 25-8 and 25-15 win over Auburn, and beat Rolling Meadows 25-16 and 25-18.
Belvidere North gave Harlem their toughest match. They won the first game 25-19 before Harlem won the next two to make the championship. Once there, the Huskies got back to business and beat Woodstock in two games.
“The varsity kids have played really consistently, which has been nice to see,” Harlem coach Lani Mitchell said. “We had kind of a rough week. But we’ve played well for five games, and hopefully that’s a good turnaround for us.”
Rolling Meadows defeated Belvidere North for third place in the tournament. Auburn took sixth place.
Harlem also led the all-tournament team, placing four members on the team. They were led by Breanna Neubauer, Morgan Knoll, Jenna Combs and Taylor Neuschwander-Thurow.
They were joined on the team by Keith’s Rachel Miller, Jordan Hartfiel of Belvidere North, Christie Jacobson, Allison Wynn, Katie Ruben of Woodstock and Jackie Rosinski from Rolling Meadows.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at email@example.com.
From the September 30 – October 6, 2009 issue