- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Music Review: Britney Spears delivers more of the same on new single
By Jim Hagerty
Although the new Britney Spears CD, The Singles Collection, won’t hit stores until November, the first single, the previously unreleased “3,” hit radio yesterday (Tuesday, Sept. 29).
The single, one of two new cuts, follows the vein of last year’s Circus, which went Platinum and reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart.
At first listen, “3” explodes with enough vocal effects, techno samplings and droning, juvenile lyrics to make the most severe anxiety disorder even worse. Fighting off the mind-ravaging hook, “1, 2, 3 Peter, Paul & Mary” proves to be a battle worthy of adding a top psychiatrist to a listener’s arsenal.
One thing’s for sure: The former Mouseketeer has always possessed the ability to convince music lovers to check their intellects at the door and forget that lyrics should at least hint at telling a story—whatever it may be.
As if Circus and the ensuing tour weren’t enough, Spears had to return with more of the same. But, hey, this is pop music. We’ve all been convinced to follow “The Candyman,” grab someone and get a little “Afternoon Delight” and get it through our thick heads that “Midnight At The Oasis” is still the place to be.
The Singles Collection is scheduled for release Nov. 24. The single “3” can be sampled at the Britney Spears Web site: www.britneyspears.com.
From the September 30 – October 6, 2009 issue.