- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
- Photos: North America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment at Rockford’s Midway Village
Community news and notes for Oct. 7-13, 2009
Students from Keith Country Day School recently earned National Merit Scholarship accolades. Senior Katie Schulz is a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist, and her classmates, Lamise Al-Basha, Farzeen Harunani and Jessica Ross, were named Commended Students, according to the 2009 report released by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Schulz, Al-Basha, Harunani and Ross qualified for the honor by taking the Preliminary SAT (PSAT)/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, which serves as an initial screening of approximately 1.5 million entrants each year. … Andrew Gilmour of Orangeville has received the Imagine America scholarship, which will provide him with $1,000 in tuition assistance from the Imagine America Foundation. Gilmour is a graduate of Orangeville High School and will attend Ohio Technical College in Cleveland, Ohio. He is enrolled in the BMW Technology program. … Glass Enhancements recently hired Kelly Dilillo as interior design manager. Dilillo is a graduate of New York’s Sheffield School of Interior Design, and is responsible for managing Glass Enhancement’s window coverings product lines and new showroom.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue