- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Cory Chisel performs on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, releases new album
• Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons team up with Grammy-winning producer and members of The Raconteurs on new album.
By Jim Hagerty
Just a few years ago, Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons were known to many in Rockford as a band composed of some friends of singer/songwriter and Rockford native Miles Nielsen. Today, the Wandering Sons are cranking out new music and performing nationally at a variety of venues, including a slot on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this Friday, Oct. 9.
Chisel, an Appleton, Wis., product, has a six-song EP (Cabin Ghosts) and a newly-released, full-length (Death Won’t Send a Letter) to his credit.
The new album, produced by Grammy-winning producer Joe Chiccarelli (The Shins, The White Stripes) and released Sept. 29 on iTunes, boasts 12 new songs and is the band’s debut on its RCA Label, Black Seal. The Raconteurs’ Brendan Benson co-wrote the first single, “Born Again,” and his Raconteurs bandmates Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler guest on the album, along with My Morning Jacket’s Carl Broemel.
The band continues to get airplay and is a sizable concert and club draw. Aside from touring to support his successful solo album, Miles, Miles Nielsen plays bass for the Wandering Sons.
Following their Late Night appearance, Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons will perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City Saturday, Oct. 10, before embarking on a European tour consisting of shows in Amsterdam, London, Paris, Stockholm, Glasgow and Berlin.
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. local time on NBC.
More information about Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons, including sample tracks and tour schedules, can be found at the band’s Web site at www.corychisel.com and Myspace page at www.myspace.com/thewanderingsons.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue