- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Cory Chisel performs on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, releases new album
• Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons team up with Grammy-winning producer and members of The Raconteurs on new album.
By Jim Hagerty
Just a few years ago, Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons were known to many in Rockford as a band composed of some friends of singer/songwriter and Rockford native Miles Nielsen. Today, the Wandering Sons are cranking out new music and performing nationally at a variety of venues, including a slot on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this Friday, Oct. 9.
Chisel, an Appleton, Wis., product, has a six-song EP (Cabin Ghosts) and a newly-released, full-length (Death Won’t Send a Letter) to his credit.
The new album, produced by Grammy-winning producer Joe Chiccarelli (The Shins, The White Stripes) and released Sept. 29 on iTunes, boasts 12 new songs and is the band’s debut on its RCA Label, Black Seal. The Raconteurs’ Brendan Benson co-wrote the first single, “Born Again,” and his Raconteurs bandmates Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler guest on the album, along with My Morning Jacket’s Carl Broemel.
The band continues to get airplay and is a sizable concert and club draw. Aside from touring to support his successful solo album, Miles, Miles Nielsen plays bass for the Wandering Sons.
Following their Late Night appearance, Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons will perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City Saturday, Oct. 10, before embarking on a European tour consisting of shows in Amsterdam, London, Paris, Stockholm, Glasgow and Berlin.
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. local time on NBC.
More information about Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons, including sample tracks and tour schedules, can be found at the band’s Web site at www.corychisel.com and Myspace page at www.myspace.com/thewanderingsons.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue