- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
E-I-E-I-O makes Rockford return Oct. 10
By Jim Hagerty
Mary’s Place, this Saturday, Oct. 10, will feature the sounds Rolling Stone calls “locomotive rock and twang,” as the oldest bar in Rockford welcomes Frontier Records act E-I-E-I-O.
The band’s sound helped define the sounds artists like Lyle Lovett and BoDeans were making in the late 1980s and early ’90s, before the genre now known as alt-country was widely recognized.
With members hailing from Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Wis., and Rockford (drummer Scott Gorsuch), E-I-E-I-O became a large concert draw after the release of 1986’s Land of Opportunity. By 1987, the band released That Love Thang and was sharing stages regularly with bands like The Clash, George Thorogood, Los Lobos, Violent Femmes, Hoodoo Gurus and Stray Cats. Tunes from both records got considerable airplay and cracked several college radio charts in the1980s and 1990s.
After a decade away from the studio, E-I-E-I-O reformed, toured, and eventually released a self-titled album in 2007. From Rockford, E-I-E-I-O will play Milwaukee’s legendary Shank Hall (Oct. 16). Rockford favorite Band of the Lost will open for E-I-E-I-O at Mary’s.
The music of E-I-E-I-O can be previewed at www.myspace.com/eieioforever. The new record can be purchased at www.cdbaby.com.
Show starts at 9 p.m. Mary’s Place is at 602 N. Madison St., downtown Rockford. A complete music schedule can be found at www.marysplacebar.com. Cover charge information can be obtained for the Oct. 10 show by calling the club at (815) 962-7944.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue