- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Green Communities Coalition hosts Low-Carbon Diet meeting Oct. 15
From press release
Green Communities Coalition (GCC) will host a free public informational meeting introducing an educational program, “The Low-Carbon Diet,” aimed at helping households improve energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions. The meeting will be at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 15, at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 920 Third Ave., in Rockford.
Since April, the Education Committee of GCC has been teaching families how to reduce their households’ carbon emissions with The Low-Carbon Diet. Twelve families registered for the first session, held for six weeks at the Maria Montessori School in Rockford. This pilot program will launch what GCC hopes will be a community-wide network of volunteers who will continue to offer the free training sessions to groups and families. The Low-Carbon Diet program is offered to interested individuals and households at no cost.
The Low-Carbon Diet is a 30-day program for households to lose 5,000 pounds of CO2. Households participating in this program use a simple guidebook that shows, step-by-step, how to reduce household CO2 output in just one month’s time.
GCC President Jim Roberts said: “We hope you’ll not only complete the program, lessen your carbon footprint, but help become a facilitator as well. This program is the single-most important action we can take to have an impact on carbon dioxide reduction. Our consumption habits must change, and you are the spark to effect this needed change.”
Any school, church or organization that would like to host a Low-Carbon Diet series should call Mike Kearny at (815) 871-1863. To learn more, visit www.greencommunitiescoaliton.org.
GCC is a non-profit, grassroots organization of northern Illinois dedicated to preserving and improving the environment through positive action.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue