- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Konieczki, Boylan sweep tournament
By Matt Nestor
Boylan senior Corey Konieczki won a rain-shortened NIC-10 boys’ golf championship at Timber Pointe Golf Club.
Konieczki, who finished seventh in the state last year and third in a junior national tournament this summer, won his second consecutive championship. He shot an opening-round 70 to gain a big first-round lead and followed that up with a 38 in the nine-hole second round.
Harlem’s Patipan Pipatpinyopong took second place with a 113, five shots behind Konieczki. Belvidere’s Robert Dofflemyer was third, Guilford’s Nick Zawislak was fourth, Hononegah’s Connor Nelson was fifth, and Boylan’s Bill Lee was sixth.
Scores were even, but the rain-shortened second round played heavily into the place finishing. Pipatpinyopong and Dofflemyer finished with the same final score, but Dofflemyer finished lower after shooting a higher score (37-35) in the second round. The same was true for Nelson and Lee.
The rainy conditions made for a close finish in the team race. Boylan, led by Konieczki and Lee, were able to shoot a 464 to win by five strokes. Guilford was second at 469.
For Boylan and Konieczki, the next step is to move on to regional play, which takes place Oct. 6. Konieczki will be looking to move on to sectional play and state play, where he hopes to improve on his seventh-place finish.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue