- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
Konieczki, Boylan sweep tournament
By Matt Nestor
Boylan senior Corey Konieczki won a rain-shortened NIC-10 boys’ golf championship at Timber Pointe Golf Club.
Konieczki, who finished seventh in the state last year and third in a junior national tournament this summer, won his second consecutive championship. He shot an opening-round 70 to gain a big first-round lead and followed that up with a 38 in the nine-hole second round.
Harlem’s Patipan Pipatpinyopong took second place with a 113, five shots behind Konieczki. Belvidere’s Robert Dofflemyer was third, Guilford’s Nick Zawislak was fourth, Hononegah’s Connor Nelson was fifth, and Boylan’s Bill Lee was sixth.
Scores were even, but the rain-shortened second round played heavily into the place finishing. Pipatpinyopong and Dofflemyer finished with the same final score, but Dofflemyer finished lower after shooting a higher score (37-35) in the second round. The same was true for Nelson and Lee.
The rainy conditions made for a close finish in the team race. Boylan, led by Konieczki and Lee, were able to shoot a 464 to win by five strokes. Guilford was second at 469.
For Boylan and Konieczki, the next step is to move on to regional play, which takes place Oct. 6. Konieczki will be looking to move on to sectional play and state play, where he hopes to improve on his seventh-place finish.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at email@example.com.
From the October 7-13, 2009 issue