23rd Annual Rockford Area CROP Hunger Walk Oct. 18
From press release
The 23rd Annual Rockford Area CROP Hunger Walk is Sunday, Oct. 18, with registration at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. step-off from Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St. It is hoped that 320 people can raise $32,000 to help local hunger programs and overseas relief.
Donations are raised through cash sponsorships solicited by the walkers themselves, based upon their completion of the 4-mile walk. Volunteer walkers can call (815) 540-3703 for sponsor sheets, or contact one of 41 congregations and businesses that are walking. Walkers and sponsors this year have the ability to sign up and raise funds online at www.cropwalk.org.
Local food pantries will receive 25 percent of the money raised to help feed hungry people. The remaining 75 percent will go through Church World Service and other international relief agencies to provide development training and disaster relief in 80 countries.
Rockford Urban Ministries and Church World Service sponsor this year’s CROP Hunger Walk. This year will have 41 congregations and organizations participating, the most ever.
A total of 110 Illinois communities will help stomp out hunger in annual CROP Hunger Walks, including Rockford’s. Participants expect to raise awareness about hunger issues and more than $1 million to provide food and resources to hungry people in their own communities and around the world.
For more information, call (815) 540-3703.
From the October 14-20, 2009 issue
Print This Article