- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
Five local figure skaters place in competitions
By Doug Halberstadt
Five local figure skaters who train at Rockford Park District ice facilities with coach Audra Abernethy-Hinds placed in competitions held in Colorado, Michigan and Illinois during the past few months.
At the 2009 Broadmoor Open skating competition June 21-28, 2009, in Colorado Springs, Colo., Makala Arn, age 11, of Stillman Valley, Ill., had three first-place finishes and one second-place finish, leading to an eighth-place finish in the Juvenile Girls Free Skate final round. Julia Liao, age 16, of Belvidere, Ill., had two second-place finishes for a sixth-place finish in the Novice Ladies Short Program only final round.
At the 2009 Skate Detroit competition July 21-25, 2009, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., Arn earned first place in the Juvenile Girls’ Free Skate initial round and seventh in the final round. Liao placed third in the Novice Ladies Combined Event, leading to a ninth-place finish in the final round.
At the 2009 Chicago Open in Glenview, Ill., July 31-Aug. 2, 2009, Liao placed sixth in the Novice Ladies’ Short Program event, and seventh in the Novice Ladies’ Free Skate event. Arn placed third in the Juvenile Girls’ Free Skate; Jacob Lock, age 11, of Poplar Grove, Ill., earned first place in the Preliminary Showcase. Bethany Osborne, age 14, placed third in the Open Pre-Juvenile Girls’ Initial Round, and Open Pre-Juvenile Girls’ Final Round.
Two local figure skaters placed in the 2009 National Showcase in Colorado Springs, Colo., held Aug. 10-14, 2009. Lock placed fourth in the Preliminary Light Entertainment and sixth in the Preliminary Dramatic Entertainment events. Madeleine Felder, age 13, placed eighth in the Juvenile Teen Light Entertainment event.
At the 2009 DuPage Open in Buffalo Grove, Ill., Aug. 13-16, 2009, Arn earned first place in the Juvenile Girls’ Free Skate Group A, and third in the final round. Osborne earned first place in the Pre-Juvenile Girls’ Free Skate Group H, and placed fourth in the Pre-Juvenile Girls’ Compulsories Group 6.
For more information about figure skating lessons and programs at Rockford Park District indoor ice facilities, call (815) 969-4069.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the October 14-20, 2009 issue