- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
IceHogs face arch rival Chicago Wolves, Peoria Rivermen
By Doug Halberstadt
The 2009-10 edition of the Rockford IceHogs have one more game on the road before their home-opener this Friday night, Oct. 16. The fifth, and final, game of the long road swing that opened their season is this evening, Wednesday, Oct. 14.
Tonight’s game isn’t that far away, but it’s still not home. The ’Hogs play their arch rivals and four-time league champions, the Chicago Wolves at the All-State Arena in Rosemont, Ill. The puck for tonight’s game drops at 7 p.m.
Rockford enters the game coming off back-to-back wins. They shut out the Lake Erie Monsters Saturday, Oct. 10, and then traveled to Toronto Sunday, Oct. 11, and outskated the Marlies 5-3.
The Wolves are 0-3 so far this season, and will be looking for their first win against the IceHogs. In the three games Chicago has played, they have only managed to score four goals and have surrendered nine to their opponents.
Rockford, on the other hand, has scored 10 and given up nine in the four games they’ve played.
Regardless of the outcome of tonight’s game, the two teams will square off against one another again this Friday night for Rockford’s home-opener. Game time is 7:05 p.m. at the MetroCentre, and the first 5,000 fans through the doors will receive a 2009-2010 IceHogs calendar.
In case you can’t make it to the game Friday night, the team will be back in action Saturday, Oct. 17. This time, another instate rival comes calling. The Peoria Rivermen will face off against the ’Hogs at 7:05 p.m. For $14, fans can get a ticket to the game that evening and entrance into any of the 14 downtown area bars that are participating in the Fall Groove Walk that night. Live and local bands will play until 1 a.m. following the game. Fans can buy their IceHogs/Groove Walk tickets at the Rockford MetroCentre, ’Hogs headquarters at the CherryVale Mall, via the phone at (815) 968-5222 or online at www.metrocentre.com.
From the October 14-20, 2009 issue