- EarthTalk: Avoiding harmful food additives
- Nighttime/alcohol enforcement patrols set for Dec. 26-28
- ComEd readies for potential winter weather
- Lee Hamilton: Time to focus on growing the economy
- Anti-corruption reform advisory question to appear on ballot
- Evidence found in Dec. 20 quadruple murder, but no arrests
- Yes, Virginia, Portillo’s is coming to Rockford
- Meet John Doe: Wake up and share that Christmas spirit, you’re the hope of the world
- Tech-Friendly: Recycle your old electronics this holiday season
- Garbage collection adjusted for Christmas, New Year’s
Rockford Art Museum offers free Hollis Sigler programs
From press release
Rockford Art Museum (RAM) is offering the following free programs in correlation with their Hollis Sigler: Expect the Unexpected exhibit, on display through Jan. 10, 2010.
‘An Individual Doesn’t Get Cancer, A Family Does’
7 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 28—Free lecture: Dr. Kent Hoskins of the OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care will educate participants about heredity, genetics and breast cancer. Local breast cancer survivors will explore connections between their experiences and Hollis Sigler’s art. Presented in partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS). Limited seating, reservations preferred. Call Ashley at the ACS, (815) 229-6958.
Free panel discussion
1 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 1—Join RAM for a Sunday-afternoon panel discussion about Hollis Sigler (1948-2001) with a few members of her “family of friends”: Patricia Locke, executor, The Hollis Sigler Estate; Carl Hammer of Carl Hammer Gallery, Chicago; Bob Hiebert of Printworks Gallery, Chicago; and Andree Stone of Stone Fine Art, Chicago.
Noon, Friday, Nov. 13—Gregory Knight, deputy commissioner/visual arts with the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, will share more about the significance of the artist and this exhibition, which travels to the Chicago Cultural Center after its debut at RAM. Presented by Women’s Art Board.
RAM is at 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday. For more information, call (815) 968-2787 or visit www.rockfordartmuseum.org.
From the October 21-27, 2009 issue