- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
Rockford Art Museum offers free Hollis Sigler programs
From press release
Rockford Art Museum (RAM) is offering the following free programs in correlation with their Hollis Sigler: Expect the Unexpected exhibit, on display through Jan. 10, 2010.
‘An Individual Doesn’t Get Cancer, A Family Does’
7 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 28—Free lecture: Dr. Kent Hoskins of the OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care will educate participants about heredity, genetics and breast cancer. Local breast cancer survivors will explore connections between their experiences and Hollis Sigler’s art. Presented in partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS). Limited seating, reservations preferred. Call Ashley at the ACS, (815) 229-6958.
Free panel discussion
1 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 1—Join RAM for a Sunday-afternoon panel discussion about Hollis Sigler (1948-2001) with a few members of her “family of friends”: Patricia Locke, executor, The Hollis Sigler Estate; Carl Hammer of Carl Hammer Gallery, Chicago; Bob Hiebert of Printworks Gallery, Chicago; and Andree Stone of Stone Fine Art, Chicago.
Noon, Friday, Nov. 13—Gregory Knight, deputy commissioner/visual arts with the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, will share more about the significance of the artist and this exhibition, which travels to the Chicago Cultural Center after its debut at RAM. Presented by Women’s Art Board.
RAM is at 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday. For more information, call (815) 968-2787 or visit www.rockfordartmuseum.org.
From the October 21-27, 2009 issue