- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Boylan survives 4 OTs to advance to sectionals
By Matt Nestor
A week earlier, the Boylan Titans soccer team cruised to a 5-1 victory over the Hononegah Indians to end their regular-season campaign.
With six minutes left in their regional final game in their Class 3A regional, the Titans found themselves staring at a 2-1 deficit.
Boylan was able to tie the game, and then in the fourth overtime, Brian Klazura kicked the game-winning goal to advance the Titans to the sectional round in the Barrington Sectional.
Hononegah had defeated Guilford to reach the finals. Boylan defeated Harlem. The Titans face Lake Zurich, who won 5-0 in their regional final.
All in all, the Rock River Valley has three teams in play for state tournament berths in Naperville, one in each class. Along with Boylan, Freeport and Keith Country Day School have also advanced to the sectional round, with Freeport the top seed in their sectional.
In Class 2A, NIC-10 champion Freeport won their regional, defeating Geneseo 2-0. They will face Sycamore in the next round. Sycamore beat Belvidere North 2-1.
In Class 1A, Keith Country Day School defeated Rockford Christian to win their regional. They will face Earlville in the first game of the Princeton sectional.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the October 28 – November 3, 2009