- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Boylan survives 4 OTs to advance to sectionals
By Matt Nestor
A week earlier, the Boylan Titans soccer team cruised to a 5-1 victory over the Hononegah Indians to end their regular-season campaign.
With six minutes left in their regional final game in their Class 3A regional, the Titans found themselves staring at a 2-1 deficit.
Boylan was able to tie the game, and then in the fourth overtime, Brian Klazura kicked the game-winning goal to advance the Titans to the sectional round in the Barrington Sectional.
Hononegah had defeated Guilford to reach the finals. Boylan defeated Harlem. The Titans face Lake Zurich, who won 5-0 in their regional final.
All in all, the Rock River Valley has three teams in play for state tournament berths in Naperville, one in each class. Along with Boylan, Freeport and Keith Country Day School have also advanced to the sectional round, with Freeport the top seed in their sectional.
In Class 2A, NIC-10 champion Freeport won their regional, defeating Geneseo 2-0. They will face Sycamore in the next round. Sycamore beat Belvidere North 2-1.
In Class 1A, Keith Country Day School defeated Rockford Christian to win their regional. They will face Earlville in the first game of the Princeton sectional.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at email@example.com.
From the October 28 – November 3, 2009