- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Debut performance of breast cancer song at Katie’s Cup Oct. 29
From press release
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a collaboration by three Rockford-area performing artists will have its debut at an open mic session starting at 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 29, at Katie’s Cup, 502 Seventh St., Rockford.
Christopher Donshale Sims, a.k.a. UniverSouLove, is a poet, spoken word artist, and creatively conscious MC. He wrote the poem “She Has Breast Cancer” in 2008 to commemorate the experience of his mother, Della Sims, diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000.
Sims’ mother is a survivor, but Sims has lost an aunt to this dreaded disease. He is now a speaker and supporter of women and the movement, and his poetry captures the terror, confusion and resignation of receiving a breast cancer diagnosis.
Classical soprano Gale Ketteler has performed professionally in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and New York in operas, oratorio, musicals and recitals. She and Sims tapped local composer/arranger David Lantz to set Sims’ poem to music.
For more information, visit www.universoulovethepoet.com or call (815) 227-0598.
From the October 28 – November 3, 2009