- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
IceHogs dominant on home ice to begin season
By Doug Halberstadt
So far this year, it has been “home, sweet home” for the Rockford IceHogs. Rockford is a perfect 3-0 at the MetroCentre during the opening month of the 2009-2010 American Hockey League season.
On opening weekend at the “Big Orange Box,” Rockford won back-to-back games against in-state rivals the Chicago Wolves and the Peoria Rivermen. Last Friday night (Oct. 23), they dominated the team that swept them out of the playoffs last season, the Milwaukee Admirals. The ’Hogs outscored the Admirals 6-1 on Hogtoberfest night in Rockford. On home ice, the ’Hogs have outscored their opponents 14-3.
Away from home, the ’Hogs have managed only two wins in six contests. The wins came in Lake Erie and Toronto. Three of the four road losses have come at the hands of the Peoria Rivermen. The other road loss was against the Chicago Wolves.
Rockford will be looking to improve on its road record this evening (Wednesday, Oct. 28) as they travel once again into the Allstate Arena for the second of five games there this year. Rockford lost to the Wolves 5-4 when the two teams met Oct. 14.
After tonight, Rockford has one more road game before returning to the MetroCentre on Halloween night. They’ll have to face the Admirals in Milwaukee Friday night (Oct. 30) before meeting them again back home Saturday (Oct. 31).
If the ’Hogs can defeat the Admirals on Halloween night in front of the home fans, they will be a perfect 4-0 at the MetroCentre during the opening month of this season. The first 2,500 fans at Saturday’s game will get an aluminum IceHogs water bottle.
If Rockford can continue their winning ways at home, the month of November should mean good news for the team. Out of the 12 games scheduled, eight are on home ice. Their four road games will be played in three cities. They have a game Sunday, Nov. 1, in Milwaukee and an away weekend series with the Abbotsford Heat Nov. 6-7. Their final road game of the month is in Grand Rapids Nov. 27.
Rockford will face the San Antonio Rampage, Texas Stars, Abbotsford Heat, Chicago Wolves and the Manitoba Moose on their home ice in November.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the October 28 – November 3, 2009