- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
What’s Local: Olson Funeral and Cremation Services—local since 1888
By Jim Hagerty
To stay in business for a decade is a significant milestone. To remain strong for more than 20 is another story altogether. For one local business, the first 120 years didn’t happen by accident.
Olson Funeral and Cremation Services, with five chapels, has been in business since 1888. Succeeding on the local front is only possible by understanding the market and how clients need to be treated. According to Scott Olson, his business highly honors its profession and, most importantly, provides each client family viable options so they can honor their loved ones with just as high regard.
“If a client family or a perspective client family does not trust us,” Olson said, “then we have failed that family, ourselves and our profession.”
Failing certainly has not been part of the Olson business plan for the past 121 years. Each family that comes to Olson with funeral needs can trust the staff understands the importance of family.
Like most industries today, technology plays a strong role in the funeral business. The industry has undergone several changes since 1888. In turn, the Olson family has held on to its dedication to personal service and developed a willingness to stay on the cutting edge of the industry’s advancements. Today, it’s not uncommon for Olson to conduct funerals and memorial services anywhere from a church to the Natural Land Institute’s Nygren Wetland Preserve.
“We also pride ourselves on staying ahead of the times,” Olson said. “As we have become a more technologically advanced firm, so has our ability to make arrangements and conduct services in a greater variety of locations.”
Olson Funeral and Cremation Services operates chapels in Rockford, Sycamore, Kirkland and Genoa. Its Rockford locations are at 1001 Second Ave. and 2811 N. Main St. Staff can be reached at (815) 963-6521 or by visiting the Fred C. Olson Web site at www.olsonfh.com.
To recommend a local business to be featured in this column, e-mail Jim Hagerty at firstname.lastname@example.org with “What’s Local” in the subject line. Or, contact The Rock River Times’ office at (815) 964-9767.
From the October 28-November 3, 2009 issue