- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
What’s Local: Olson Funeral and Cremation Services—local since 1888
By Jim Hagerty
To stay in business for a decade is a significant milestone. To remain strong for more than 20 is another story altogether. For one local business, the first 120 years didn’t happen by accident.
Olson Funeral and Cremation Services, with five chapels, has been in business since 1888. Succeeding on the local front is only possible by understanding the market and how clients need to be treated. According to Scott Olson, his business highly honors its profession and, most importantly, provides each client family viable options so they can honor their loved ones with just as high regard.
“If a client family or a perspective client family does not trust us,” Olson said, “then we have failed that family, ourselves and our profession.”
Failing certainly has not been part of the Olson business plan for the past 121 years. Each family that comes to Olson with funeral needs can trust the staff understands the importance of family.
Like most industries today, technology plays a strong role in the funeral business. The industry has undergone several changes since 1888. In turn, the Olson family has held on to its dedication to personal service and developed a willingness to stay on the cutting edge of the industry’s advancements. Today, it’s not uncommon for Olson to conduct funerals and memorial services anywhere from a church to the Natural Land Institute’s Nygren Wetland Preserve.
“We also pride ourselves on staying ahead of the times,” Olson said. “As we have become a more technologically advanced firm, so has our ability to make arrangements and conduct services in a greater variety of locations.”
Olson Funeral and Cremation Services operates chapels in Rockford, Sycamore, Kirkland and Genoa. Its Rockford locations are at 1001 Second Ave. and 2811 N. Main St. Staff can be reached at (815) 963-6521 or by visiting the Fred C. Olson Web site at www.olsonfh.com.
To recommend a local business to be featured in this column, e-mail Jim Hagerty at firstname.lastname@example.org with “What’s Local” in the subject line. Or, contact The Rock River Times’ office at (815) 964-9767.
From the October 28-November 3, 2009 issue