This week in The Times: Joan Zimmerman
Vitals: Joan Zimmerman, 50, is the owner of The Fix-it Gals, a home repair company in Rockford. She was born and raised in Winnebago County before moving to Arizona to attend high school. Zimmerman moved back to the Rock River Valley in 1979, when she began working for the Chrysler Corporation. She retired from Chrysler this year, and opened her new business venture, which allows her to paint and work with her hands.
1. If you could choose any elected official – local, state or national – to speak with one-on-one, who would it be, and what would you say? I’d speak with [Rockford] Mayor Larry Morrissey (I), U.S. Rep. Don Manzullo (R-16) and President Barack Obama (D), and I would ask each of them the same questions. How is it that the need for help with the general population is rising, and the government agencies are all cutting back? How is it that the media say the economy is getting better, yet our numbers at the food pantries in the Rock River Valley are rising? And last, but not least, why did Obama and [George W.] Bush give our money and our children’s money to the greedy bankers? If they would have given each of us taxpayers a portion of that money and made us sign a document to get it that we would either pay off our house or buy one, pay off our car loan or buy a new one, and/or buy new furniture? The point is, we have to spend it on one of the above and spend it all. We could have saved a ton of jobs that way and the economy. I don’t get it!
2. If you were to move away from the Rock River Valley, what three things would you miss the most? I would miss my family that lives here, especially my two grandsons. I would miss my church family, and my friends. I would miss the four seasons because I would move to Arizona, where I have family also.
3. In your opinion, what could be done to improve the safety of Rockford-area schools, in light of the shooting that took place Oct. 31, 2009? Put God and prayer back into schools.
4. What is the most common repair call received by “The Fix-It Gals?” Most of my calls are for painting. However, I do seem to be repairing drywall a lot.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant Brian Hansmeier: What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Homemade pumpkin pie, and my sister’s potato dish that she makes. Yum!
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the November 4-10, 2009 issue
Print This Article