- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Blues In the Schools returns with Joe Filisko, Eric Noden
From press release
It’s once again time for Blues In The Schools (BITS)!
Joe Filisko and Eric Noden will be returning to the Rockford area for another round of great programs and events for two days, Wednesday, Nov. 18, and Thursday, Nov. 19, doing four school programs, an evening show and guitar and harmonica workshops.
School programs will be held both days. Keith School and RESA Middle School will have programs Wednesday afternoon. The Wednesday evening show will be at 7:30 p.m. at Big Cities Lounge. Tickets for the show are $7 in advance and for members, $10 at the door, and free for students accompanied by adults.
Thursday school programs are at Spring Creek Elementary School and Montessori Magnet School.
The harmonica and guitar lesson workshop will be at 7 p.m., Thursday, at Katie’s Cup, 502 Seventh St. Joe will school those who sign up on blues harp, while Eric will instruct attendees on blues guitar. The workshop fee is $20 per person.
Joe Filisko and Eric Noden’s first CD, Live, featured versions of early blues and roots songs by Sony Terry, Daddy Stovepipe, Fred McDowell and Gwen Foster. The CD’s success led to several European tours as well as festival and workshop appearances in the U.S.
Their new release, I.C. Special, continues to draw on American music from the 1920s and ’30s. All 15 tunes on I.C. Special were written by either Joe or Eric, and each represents a different branch of American roots music. This new work brings Joe and Eric into a realm that embraces their influences while blending them together in unique ways. This fall, the duo will perform at the World Harmonica Festival in Trossingen, Germany, as well as the Harmonicales Festival in Condat, France.
For tickets, information and workshop reservations, call Steve at (779) 537-4006. For more about the two artists, visit www.ericnoden.com/Filisko_Noden/bio.html.
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue