- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Guest Column: Reflexology can help you achieve balance and reduce stress
By Karla Fernet
Healthy Balance Reflexology
Stress is a major cause of many health issues. When we remove stress from our lives, we begin to feel more relaxed and achieve a sense of well-being.
A few of the symptoms of stress are headaches, neck and shoulder pain, and digestive problems. In many cases, these issues go away when we begin to reduce the stress in our lives.
I always ask successful people what the secret to their success is. I always hear a similar answer: “Get a balance in your life.”
A balance, including spiritual, family and work, greatly reduces stress. I personally know right away when one of these things gets out of balance in my life. The best way to obtain and maintain this balance is to schedule them in each week ahead of time.
For some people, their career is very stressful, even when they try to maintain a good balance. A friend of mine who lives in Kalamazoo, Mich., is a good example. Sherry has a stressful job in a health care environment. She often had headaches and body pain. Most of the time, she didn’t feel like participating in evening activities. Over a year ago, I visited her for a weekend. I taught her how to do some reflexology on her hands. I focused on overall relaxation and her particular health issues. A week later, she called me and was very excited. She had been doing the reflexology on herself each day for a few minutes after work. She now felt much less pain and stress, and was now participating in more evening activities.
One year later, Sherry continues to do reflexology on herself on a regular basis. She also takes the hands of co-workers when she sees them suffering with a headache or body pain and does reflexology on them. At first, they thought it was silly, until the pain quickly went away.
Reflexology greatly reduces stress. Most people report a major reduction in stress on the very first treatment. Even people who don’t sleep much at night report they now sleep like a baby.
At Healthy Balance Reflexology Clinic, we also teach reflexology. We teach two-hour lunch-and-learn on your hands, and also a six-month certification course. Contact us at (815)519-4977 or on our Web site at www.healthybal-ancereflexology.com.
Karla Fernet is a certified reflexologist and the owner of Healthy Balance Reflexology, 6053 Fincham Drive, Rockford (behind Kohl’s at Mulford and State).
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue