- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Las Vegas, new releases keep Cheap Trick busy
By Jim Hagerty
Besides having a successful summer touring with Def Leppard and Poison, Cheap Trick released a new studio album this year (The Latest), headlined a string of its own dates, and was the featured act in a run of September Beatles tribute shows at the Las Vegas Hilton.
The Vegas dates, billed as “Sgt. Pepper Live Featuring Cheap Trick” featured the same set list as the band’s live CD and DVD, Sgt. Pepper Live, released in August. Like the album, the live shows, similar to 2007’s tribute show at Hollywood Bowl, featured the band with several guests performing the famous Beatles 1967 album, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, in its entirety.
The Sgt. Pepper Live project consisted of 10 shows. Joining Cheap Trick were Joan Osborne, Ian Ball, Beatle-esque power-pop quartet Backbeat and a conducted orchestra.
Sgt. Pepper Live (DVD filmed in New York) is available at a variety of retailers, while The Latest (CD, 8-track and vinyl) can be purchased directly from www.cheaptrick.com. The Latest reached the No. 78 spot on the Billboard 200, No. 36 on the Rock Album and No. 14 on the Independent Album charts.
With its fall tour with Def Leppard cancelled, Cheap Trick will play the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 3, Potawatomi Casino Dec. 9, and Rosemont’s Allstate Arena Dec. 10.
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue