- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Las Vegas, new releases keep Cheap Trick busy
By Jim Hagerty
Besides having a successful summer touring with Def Leppard and Poison, Cheap Trick released a new studio album this year (The Latest), headlined a string of its own dates, and was the featured act in a run of September Beatles tribute shows at the Las Vegas Hilton.
The Vegas dates, billed as “Sgt. Pepper Live Featuring Cheap Trick” featured the same set list as the band’s live CD and DVD, Sgt. Pepper Live, released in August. Like the album, the live shows, similar to 2007’s tribute show at Hollywood Bowl, featured the band with several guests performing the famous Beatles 1967 album, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, in its entirety.
The Sgt. Pepper Live project consisted of 10 shows. Joining Cheap Trick were Joan Osborne, Ian Ball, Beatle-esque power-pop quartet Backbeat and a conducted orchestra.
Sgt. Pepper Live (DVD filmed in New York) is available at a variety of retailers, while The Latest (CD, 8-track and vinyl) can be purchased directly from www.cheaptrick.com. The Latest reached the No. 78 spot on the Billboard 200, No. 36 on the Rock Album and No. 14 on the Independent Album charts.
With its fall tour with Def Leppard cancelled, Cheap Trick will play the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tenn., Dec. 3, Potawatomi Casino Dec. 9, and Rosemont’s Allstate Arena Dec. 10.
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue