- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
Molln, Boylan race past field in sectionals
By Matt Nestor
The Boylan Titans finished nearly 60 points ahead of a close fight for second place between Byron and Freeport, winning the IHSA sectional with 304.5 points.
Byron took second with 245, three points ahead of Freeport.
Leading the way for the Titans was junior Taylor Molln, who qualified in four events for the IHSA State Championships, which take place Nov. 20-21.
Molln qualified in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:55.05. She also qualified for the 500-yard freestyle (5:11.09) and will also anchor the 200-yard and 400-yard freestyle relay teams.
This is the second straight trip for Molln to the state finals.
Alana Telfer also helped Boylan win the section by also qualifying in two individual events for the state meet. The junior won the 100-yard butterfly (58.84) and finished second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:00.58).
The main competition all season long for Molln was Rose Thompson of Byron. Thompson also managed to qualify for two events, the 50-yard freestyle (23.78) and the 100-yard freestyle (52.25).
Other individuals who qualified for the state finals are: Freeport’s Sam Sloan in the 200-yard individual medley (2:11.95), Byron’s Ciara Lightner in the 100-yard backstroke (1:00.01), and Kelsie Montana of East in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:11.15).
Whitney Johnson of Hononegah won the diving event at the sectional. She automatically advanced to the state meet for winning the event.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue