- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Molln, Boylan race past field in sectionals
By Matt Nestor
The Boylan Titans finished nearly 60 points ahead of a close fight for second place between Byron and Freeport, winning the IHSA sectional with 304.5 points.
Byron took second with 245, three points ahead of Freeport.
Leading the way for the Titans was junior Taylor Molln, who qualified in four events for the IHSA State Championships, which take place Nov. 20-21.
Molln qualified in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:55.05. She also qualified for the 500-yard freestyle (5:11.09) and will also anchor the 200-yard and 400-yard freestyle relay teams.
This is the second straight trip for Molln to the state finals.
Alana Telfer also helped Boylan win the section by also qualifying in two individual events for the state meet. The junior won the 100-yard butterfly (58.84) and finished second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:00.58).
The main competition all season long for Molln was Rose Thompson of Byron. Thompson also managed to qualify for two events, the 50-yard freestyle (23.78) and the 100-yard freestyle (52.25).
Other individuals who qualified for the state finals are: Freeport’s Sam Sloan in the 200-yard individual medley (2:11.95), Byron’s Ciara Lightner in the 100-yard backstroke (1:00.01), and Kelsie Montana of East in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:11.15).
Whitney Johnson of Hononegah won the diving event at the sectional. She automatically advanced to the state meet for winning the event.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue