- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
That poor MetroCentre
Every time (almost) the MetroCentre authorities ask for more money, our City Hall comes to their rescue! But whose money are they (city planners) spending? It’s the citizens of Winnebago County’s taxes! And if our mayor and aldermen do not have enough funds, they can always obtain borrowed bonds. It isn’t the lack of money that our MetroCentre has. It’s the large salaries that the CEOs are getting. So what if someone pleads their case for 10 minutes? Because these fat cats are only getting a large salary every year they are in business! On the MetroCentre’s behalf, they figure,
if we build it, they will come.
But at the same time, they (MetroCentre) are giving our so-called city leaders the prospect of filling their city coffers. The real solution is for these bigwigs of the MetroCentre to take a pay cut!
From the November 18-24, 2009 issue