- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Community news and notes for week of Nov. 25
Michael Carroll of Machesney Park was recently elected activities coordinator for the College of Business Executive Council (COBEC) at Illinois State University. Carroll is a senior at Illinois State University majoring in business administration, and is also a Harlem High School graduate. The COBEC serves as the student advisory council to the College of Business Dean’s Office. The officers of the COBEC are elected each spring by interested students who are members of a College of Business student organization. … Tyler Nelson of Rockford was promoted to senior engineer at Crawford, Murphy & Tilly Inc. (CMT) after his registration as a professional engineer in Illinois. Nelson is a civil engineer assigned to CMT’s Rockford Aviation Group. He is working on engineering design and construction inspection services for taxiway and runway rehabilitation projects at the Chicago Rockford International Airport. … Karen Sikorski, clinical nurse specialist in pain management at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, received the American Society of Pain Management Nursing’s (ASPNM) 2009 Distinguished Service Award. She was nominated by the Northern Illinois Regional Pain Resource Nurse Consortium and received the award during the ASPNM’s national conference in September in New Orleans. Sikorski was selected based on numerous local, state and national accomplishments in pain management and palliative care, professional activities, integrity, nursing leadership, contributions to nursing, and her positive attitude about the nursing profession.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue