- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
Literary Hook: March 1, 2010, deadline for Jane’s Stories Press Foundation Poetry Award
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Jane’s Stories Press Foundation announces its 2010 Poetry Contest, “Beyond Borders.”
The 2010 Jane’s Stories Poetry Award is for previously unpublished poems written in English by women. Results will be announced in April 2010.
Guidelines are as follow:
The Jane’s Stories Poetry Award will be awarded to the best poem submitted and received by March 1, 2010. Previously unpublished poems of any length or style written in English by women are eligible. Entries should speak to the contest theme, “Beyond Borders.” The Foundation has a special interest in work by and about women, and is seeking writing that addresses resolving conflicts and boundary issues.
A first prize of $100 will be awarded. A second prize of $50 and two third prizes of $25 each will also be awarded. All winning poems will be featured on Jane’s Web site, www.janestories.org. Authors also grant JSPF reprint rights to publish winning entries in its next anthology.
An entry fee of $10 for three poems must accompany each submission. Include $3 for each additional submitted beyond the first three, up to a limit of five poems. Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for notification and a list of the winners or request e-mail notification to a valid e-mail address. All entries will be recycled rather than returned. Submissions accepted though March 10, 2010.
Enclose a separate sheet, including your name, address, e-mail address and phone number and a list of poems submitted. Do not put your name on the poem itself. The title of each poem should appear at the top of the page. Entries without SASEs of valid e-mail addresses will not be considered. Entries after March 1, 2010, will be discarded.
Send all entries and fees to: Contest, Jane’s Stories Press Foundation, 5500 N 50 W, Fremont, IN 46737.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet who has written several books of poetry and formerly wrote a column called “The Writer’s Garret” for this newspaper.
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue