- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Need new congressman with new ideas
Recently, Congressman Phil Hare (D-Ill.) announced he supports moving Guantanamo Bay detainees to the Thomson (Ill.) Correctional Facility, on the basis that it will create thousands of jobs. While his logic is pretty simple, I don’t believe that just one terrorist prison is enough.
To make up for his total job losses, while serving the 17th district as Congressman and district director, Congressman Hare should focus on bringing at least 10 more terrorist prisons. One prison only makes up for the job losses of Maytag and Seaford. What about the job losses that he has overseen at International Harvester, Quad City Die-Cast, Eagle’s Country Market, and countless other small and large employers across the district?
Congressman Hare shouldn’t just stop at Thomson. He should put terrorist prisons in Moline, Rock Island, East Moline, Quincy, Springfield, Canton and other parts of the district that have really suffered. After all, these super max prisons do wonders for local economies, like ADX in Florence, Colo. I hear the unemployment rate there is only at 9.6 percent. God forbid Hare should allow private industry, not government, to bring jobs back to these areas. To him, government seems to be the cure-all.
In all seriousness, if the only way Congressman Hare can bring jobs to our state is by bringing a bunch of terrorists here, then I say we need a new congressman with new ideas.
Rock Island, Ill.
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue