- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
No flags to remember veterans
I write this letter on Veterans’ Day with a very heavy heart. I have my current TRRT opened to Stanley Campbell’s column. It is keeping me from using angry words and insults. (Stanley, I hope you know how much I respect you.)
I’m also thinking of my father, a 13-year veteran as a radioman in the U.S. Navy. An American citizen who, on this day, did not want to visit my dad at the cemetery.
So, after thanking my boyfriend for his service to
country, I thought it would be great for me to take some flowers (in my father’s memory) to my local VFW and thank all the veterans for their service.
In doing so, I was very disheartened when I could not find an American flag for sale to put in the flower arrangement, which I had made at a prominent grocer. Not there, not at the local
drug store, not even at the famous card shop. Plenty of Santa hats, though. Settling for what I had, I did my deed. Along the way, I noticed no one displaying a flag on their homes. Nowhere! (Except for the banks.) Are we too busy and ungrateful for jobs we have? Not to think of those who are sacrificing their lives just to have a job? Or for a better reason,
I say this because the veteran next to me, as I sat the flowers on the bar, asked,
You know what ‘Navy’ stands for?
Oh, God, what?
Never Again Volunteer Yourself.
I’m still wondering if it was a veteran’s joke, or could this be the truth?
Thank the Vet, Not the War
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue