- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Rockford Park District hosts holiday tree lighting event
From press release
Gather family and friends for the sights, sounds and fun of the holiday season to enjoy the free annual Holiday Tree Lighting presented by Applebee’s and hosted by Rockford Park District, from 4-6 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 29, at Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St., Rockford. Due to the construction of the Nicholas Conservatory, the location was moved across the street for this year’s event.
Festivities begin at 4 p.m., with free kids’ activities and photos with Santa and friends until 6 p.m., and music by the Kantorei Singing Boys of Rockford starting at 5 p.m. Santa and friends will light the holiday tree at 5:30 p.m. Letters for Santa can be dropped off at the
North Pole Express
mailbox through Dec. 21 (include a return address for Santa’s reply). Treats and beverages will be available for purchase, with proceeds to benefit the Friends of Lockwood Park volunteer efforts. Event parking will be available in Sinnissippi Park. For more information on the tree lighting, accessibility for people with disabilities attending the event, call (815) 987-8800.
The 21st annual presentation of the Festival of Lights will open at 6:30 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 29. The holiday light displays are created by local groups and businesses; the display hours are Thursday through Sunday evenings, Dec. 3-31, 5-10 p.m. On Dec. 24, the Festival will be open all night. Admission is free; donations are appreciated. Vote online for the best display at www.mystateline.com. For more information on Festival of Lights, visit www.rockfordfireandice.com or call Project First Rate at (815) 965-0768.
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue