- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
Stillman Valley returns to title game
By Matt Nestor
The Stillman Valley Cardinals are back to a place that is very familiar to them. They hope the result is familiar as well.
The Cardinals defeated Carthage by a score of 21-14 to make their way to the IHSA Class 3A State Championship.
The Cardinals were outgained by more than 150 yards (464-295), but still managed to push the game into overtime. That is when quarterback Dane Green found Matt Arnold for a 9-yard touchdown pass for what proved to be the game-winner.
Green led the Cardinals in all phases of the game. He ran for 74 yards and two touchdowns, as well as throwing for 49 yards and the one score.
The Cardinals will face Tolono (Unity) in the championship game. The game will take place Friday, Nov. 27, at 4 p.m., at Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Tolono is the top-ranked team in Class 3A, and the favorites in the playoffs. Stillman Valley is ranked third.
In Class 7A, title favorites Glenbard West, who beat NIC-10 teams Guilford and Hononegah on their way to making the championship game, will face Wheaton Warrenville South Saturday, Nov. 28.
All championship games will be streamed live on IHSA.tv. Radio broadcast is available at IHSAradio.com. Championships will start Thursday with Class1A-4A games, with Class 5A-8A games on Thursday.
The lineup for the games is:
Class 1A—Tuscola vs. Lexington; Class 2A—Maroa vs. Morrison; Class 3A—Tolono vs. Stillman Valley; Class 4A—Metamora vs. Geneseo; Class 5A—Joliet Catholic vs. Lombard Montini; Class 6A—Providence Catholic vs. Cary Grove; Class 7A—Glenbard West vs. Wheaton; Class 8A—Chicago Marist vs. Maine South.
From the November 25-December 1, 2009 issue