- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
East finishes second at freshman wrestling invitational
By Matt Nestor
The East E-Rabs hosted 13 teams in the Rockford East Freshman Invitational wrestling tournament, finishing second in the self-hosted tournament.
Warren Township dominated the field, winning the team title. In all, they totaled 272 points in the event. Second-place East scored 142 points, edging out third-place McHenry, who had 134 points.
Warren was led by a group that won seven different weight classes. Michael Malles (90 pounds), Craig Mason (98), Jeremy Andrews (125), Blake Howard (130), Michael Carranza (152), Jason Sacramento (160) and Danny Hicks (171) all won for Warren.
The E-Rabs turned in several great performances en route to their second-place finish. Dillon Michaelson (119) was the only wrestler to win his weight class. Lemarcus Harvey (125), Paul Montoya (160), and Michael Estegard (285) all took second place.
Also helping out East was Romeo Buchanan (98) and Chris Feliciano (103) with third-place finishes. Matt Marshall took fifth place at 152 pounds for East.
The Guilford Vikings also sent a team over to the tournament, the only other Rockford school represented in the tournament. The Vikings finished ninth with 77 points.
Connor Jones (189) led the way for the Vikings, winning his weight class. Andrew Barelli (90) placed third for the Vikings, while Cody Wtorkowski (119) finished fifth.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the December 2-8, 2009 issue